Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Thankful for 35 weeks and 94 years

I don't think there are many people who don't know what we are having, but in case you are in the dark, we are expecting a boy.  I am a little over thirty-five weeks along, and have been going in for weekly non-stress tests for a few weeks already. I will continue to go in every monday until August 6th, which is our planned c-section day. 

I know that God has the number of our days planned before any of them come to be, and as 36 weeks nears, I can't help but think about Amelia's last moments on earth.  I would be lying if I said I don't worry as that day approaches with this baby.  I wonder how long his heart will beat upon this earth. I think about the sweet man who turned 94 last month, the man my husband calls "Grandpa Art". The man who is ready to go home... his heavenly home, and yet his heart beats here.  I think of this little man inside of me, and I worry that his heart won't beat another 4 weeks, and I don't know why I worry... Maybe his heart will beat for more than 94 years. Maybe he will have the chance to marry a Godly woman, raise children for the Lord, hold and know his great-grandchildren, and minister to his family for decades, like Grandpa Art. 

Art feeding Ev-babe, at the young age of 90.

Only God knows what is in store for Art and baby boy, these two that I have been thinking of so much lately.  And His ways and thoughts are higher than mine, and more importantly He is faithful and trustworthy.  So I will not worry, but pray for my own lack of trust, and rest in His plan for each of these men.               
Baby boy
35 weeks and 1 day
You have to look around the grey blobs in front of him, but it is worth it. 
Love these sweet little lips - can't wait to kiss 'em!

I could stare at this little smirk all day...  I am going to feel bad when his birth actually happens, because I am going to throw his peaceful, happy little world upside down. (Okay, so I will only feel a little bad, or in O-dog's words - "a tiny, piny, peeny" bit bad)

There are so many emotions swirling around his arrival, and I know that it is only by God's grace that I am able to experience the unabandoned excitement for his tangible entry into our world, into our arms, into our home... It doesn't happen every moment of everyday, that I am able to feel so much anticipation for him without reservation, but when it does, I admit I embrace it whole-heartedly. I have to. He deserves that - this little man...

I am thankful for the 35 weeks and 2 days I have had so far with this little one, and how my heart aches for more, and is ready for years to come with him.  Nonetheless, I am still thankful, for today.  I am also thankful for Amelia's 36 weeks.  Thankful I am her mom.  Thankful that her heart beat here for 36 weeks, even if it broke mine.

And as for Grandpa Art, who just turned 94, the one in the hospital bed a state away, I can only pray that we are all so blessed to touch as many lives and hearts as he has.  If you knew this man, you would know that he is still touching lives, and there are probably nurses who just met him who will remember his spirit for a long time to come.  We all have our God-given jobs to do, and he knew his.  He was as focused on the heavenly prize as anyone, and no matter when he is made whole and healthy again in heaven, and his heart stops beating here, we can all be thankful for the gift... the treasure of however many years we knew him of the 94 he had on this earth. 

2 comments:

  1. Sherri,
    Wow 35 weeks... I am praying for that precious boy... I am so glad that you are able to have those moments where you fully enjoy this precious little guy! What a gift that is... he does deserve it! Sherri, I will be praying till August 6th when you meet your son!

    Remembering your sweet Amelia too:)
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been thinking of you a lot lately and wondering how you're feeling. Could the boys come over sometime soon? Friday? Next week? You can come too, btw. ;-) We'd love to have some company. This summer is getting LOOOOOONNNNG. I bet it's getting long for you, too. I have 2 August babies...I remember!!

    Hope all is well.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete